Brett Cornell Series

Home of the supreme UNSCRUPULOUS BASTARD himself !!

Sunday, August 26, 2012

BRETT QUOTES MUSSOLINI !!


In this snippet from "BRETT GETS HAMMERED" (Brett Cornell Mystery #6), Brett has reason to believe that Andy's little 5-year-old son may have witnessed a murder, but when Brett attempts to question the boy, both Andy & his sister Tammy are alarmed.

Here goes:




When Andy saw me approach, he pulled back, taking his son with him, and said to me,

“Listen, Cornell. The boy’s distraught. He doesn’t know how to react to everything that’s been happening in this house the past few weeks. He’s only five years old.”

“Then it’s about time he grew a set –“ I started to say, and then Tammy came towards me rapidly so as to obstruct my approach towards her brother and nephew, and started lecturing me on my inappropriate behavior and language in front of such an impressionable young child.
  
 “Isn’t there anything in this world that is sacred to you?” she wound up her little sermon with.

 “Besides my social life, I can’t think of nothing, no,” I said with a straight face, then before she had time to fly into any more tirades in an effort to put me in my proverbial old place, I hastily went on, “Listen to me, you two losers, and listen good. See that? I said two losers instead of three, out of respect for the sanctity of small impressionable little tadpoles the world over, O.K.?” More looks of absolute scorn headed my way, and I continued undaunted,” You can go on believing that the only reason Little Pee-Wee over here said what he said was because he’s been distraught the last few weeks. But remember this,” and I continued the rest of what I had to say in grave, ominous tones,” ‘Out of the mouths of babes’ – or something to that effect – as Mussolini once said.”

  “That – that is the stupidest thing you’ve said yet!” good old Tammy responded, screwing her face up in an expression of utter disbelief. “Mussolini was an Italian dictator who led the Fascist regime in his country around the time of the Second World War, and he never said that.”

  “Well, he may have said it once or twice during his lifetime,” I argued,” and stop dragging in irrelevant references to Italian dictators and Latvian playwrights, will ya?"




So, Brett is correct after all! Can anyone be absolutely certain that those words NEVER came out of Mussolini's mouth? ? ?

Possibility: He may have said them in ITALIAN, I'll grant you that! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't be certain of anything, except that those book covers of your are really great, he he :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Credit for the book covers goes to graphics designer GX, whose website is http://graphiczxdesigns.zenfolio.com

    ReplyDelete