Brett Cornell Series

Home of the supreme UNSCRUPULOUS BASTARD himself !!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

BRETT ARGUES CULTURE with LOLA BUCHANAN


In this brief exchange from "IT'S ALL BRETT'S FAULT" (Brett Cornell Mystery #7), Brett tries to convince his current girlfriend (Lola Buchanan) that he knows more about CULTURE than she does!






 “I’ll have you know, baby-doll, that when it comes to culture, you’re looking at the guy who could write a whole freakin’ book on the subject, if he really wanted to.”

 

 “Oh, please!” she began, even going so far as to accompany the words with a rather sarcastic laugh.

 

 “I’ll bet you didn’t know that, when I was in high school, the teacher took us on a field trip to one of them fancy auditoriums in downtown Providence which, as everyone knows, is the freakin’ hub of civilization, right? – My old lady even paid good money and signed the little permission slip thingy so I could go, too – and I sat through a whole performance of Porky and Bess—and without even falling asleep, neither! How’s that for culture, baby?”

 

Whereupon Little Lola – or should I call her Little Miss I-Know-More-About-Culture-Than-Anybody-Else? – drew herself up, pursed her cute little rose-colored lips, and retorted,

 

 Porky and Bess, huh? Well, in case you’re interested –“

 

“Which I ain’t, but I suppose you’re gonna tell me anyways –“

 

“The name of the work in question is Porgy and Bess – not Porky!”

 

“And how would you know what show I went to see, huh? You weren’t even there!” I shot right back at her, not to be outdone by a girl who wasn’t even in the same league as me when it came to sharp-witted banter and the like.

 

 
 
 
 
MORAL OF THE STORY: Never argue with an UNSCRUPULOUS BASTARD. You can't possibly win, since the rules are slanted in the unscrupulous bastard's favor !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment